Here’s what has been happening with your favorite social media platforms:
Unless you’ve been living under a social media rock, you’ve likely heard that the folks over at Meta have been busy bees this past week as they launched Instagram’s ‘Threads’ app.
Now we know what you’re thinking…another social media platform?! But this latest Twitter-competitor has big plans to shake things up. In the first two hours, Threads surpassed 2 million sign-ups. Before days-end, that number had reached 30 million and counting.
Here’s what you need to know for now:
- It is innately tied to your instagram account. Use your Instagram credentials to log in and get started but BEWARE. Once created, your Threads account is linked to your Instagram account. You will not be able to delete your threads account without deleting your Instagram (for now).
- It piggybacks on your Instagram account to help build your following, allowing users to automatically follow those they are already following on Instagram.
- Threads favors text-first content. Posts can be up to 500 characters long, and can include links, photos, and videos up to 5 minutes in length.
- At this time, hashtags DO NOT WORK and there is currently no direct messaging option.
- There is currently no way to draft posts for later, integrate with third-party scheduling tools, or toggle between different accounts (as with other platforms).
For now, developing a social media strategy for this platform remains to be seen. Here at The Social Ginger, we’ll be keeping an eye on how things progress in the coming months. Be sure to stay tuned!
In other news …
Facebook / Instagram (and Threads!)
- It’s that time of year again! Meta publishes their annual Holiday Planning Guide to help your business plan for your seasonal promotions.
- Short-form video is the fastest growing content type on all platforms. If it’s not already a part of your social media advertising strategy, it should be. Meta shares a new detailed infographic with their video ad creative tips.
- New ‘Threads Dictionary’ aims to help users get up to speed with new app lingo.
- Instagram will now allow you to add up to three collaborators on posts and Reels.
- Uhh oh! Elon is NOT happy! Just days after Threads’ launch, Twitter’s parent company X Corp has launched legal proceedings against Meta.
- Tweetdeck, Twitter’s formerly free scheduling tool, gets an update. BUT will soon become a Twitter Blue exclusive feature.
- New Twitter CEO Linda Yaccarino outlines her key focus points for rebuilding opportunities on the app.
- According to Patent Drop, Pinterest is testing a new system that would scan your emails to understand your interests.
- TikTok updates Data Usage Regulations as regional laws continue to evolve.
- YouTube shares consumption trends insights in their 2023 Creative Trends Report.
- Snapchat shares insight into what Gen Z consumers want from brands.
- LinkedIn shares tips for making your ads and posts stand out.